Saturday 15 May 2010

Cretan Date Palm

It is with much regret I have to report that according to MAICH in Chania, the Red Palm Weevil is infecting some of the Palms at Preveli. I saw no sign of the weevil when I was there a couple of weeks ago, but then I didn't examine every palm. I spoke with the owners of several tavernas near the palm beach and they knew nothing about the threat to their palms or their livelihoods. MAICH is apparently 'monitoring' the situation but we have no information as to what this entails. I have killed three weevils at the house in Pano Elounda over the last few weeks and I am appalled at its spread. It will not be long before it reaches VAI. Rosemary and I have tried all avenues to get some co-ordinated help to deal with the problem, but so far each dimos seems to be doing its own thing. We have tried to make an appointment with the head of the province of Lassithi but without success. We really don't know what we can do to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment